Recombinant DNA = a section of DNA is snipped out of the DNA of one species and inserted into the DNA of another the new DNA is called the "Recombinant DNA."
1. Plasmid =
- found in bacterial cells
- small circular ring of DNA
- don't carry very many genes
- has a protein shell called a Caspid
- contains a nucleic acid (DNA/RNA)
- (no cytoplasm, no nucleus etc)
3. Human Chromosome
- (length of DNA)
- identify a gene --> this gene codes for the protein Insulin (hormone controlling blood sugar levels)
- the restriction enzyme is selected to cut the DNA (to cut the gene for insulin)
- the gene is cut --> now isolate the plasmids and cut it with the same srestriction enzyme
- the plasmids are now open in a structure much like a "C"
- the opened up plasmids and the human gene insulin are mixed with a DNA ligase enzyme to create recombinant plasmids (combination of human gene + plasmid)