1. The nervous system allows to the body to respond to changes in the environment (stimuli)
2. This consists of: the brain, the spinal cord and all of the nerves that branch off from the spinal cord.
3. The CNS refers to only the brain + spinal cord.
4. Impulses from receptors pass along the sensory nerves until they reach the brain + spinal cord.
5. 2 ways in which the CNS handles these changes
- a response co-ordinated by the brain (slower way of responding)
- reflex actions (these are extra-rapid responses to stimuli that by-pass the brain)